January 05, 2009

Christmas in Montana


Because we have a mixed family my dad and step mom have been very kind to celebrate Christmas on other days besides the actual 25th of December. So Ben, Becky, the girls and I had a small Christmas on the 25th and than it was off to Montana for New Years and a late Christmas. I think this might be our latest Christmas yet, as it was celebrated after New Years. Seems kind of strange, but really as the years come and go that day feels just as much like the real thing, you forget that it really wasn't.

New Years Eve was spent playing the craziest game ever, eating and enjoying each other. To ring in the New Year the kids held our tradition and celebrated in the hot tub, watching the ball drop on the TV. Normally Ben and Mike light off some sweet fire works right before midnight. But this year we held off since it was a bit windy and we wanted Lindsey and Courtney to see them. My younger siblings could have gone out to some parties, especially Mike since he was home from Minnesota and actually has friends in Montana, but they didn't. I love that my family loves spending so much time together, that when we are all in town we have to do practically everything together.

Christmas day was celebrated on New Years Day. All of us kids started out the day by playing out in the snow and building a small fort in the backyard. Must have been quite a sight for my parents as they finished wrapping presents to see all their "big" kids playing in the snow like "little" kids. We did have Lindsey with us to make it a little more legitimate. For dinner we had our traditional chili soup, my grandma Jessie made it for her big family every year. We taught Lindsey how to "cheers" with her party cup, which she wanted to do with every meal that followed. Then on to the presents. I won't go into all the details of the present opening, but it is a lot of fun and takes forever. I got some amazing gifts including a beautiful easel, so that I can keep painting. I'll have to post a picture of that later. I also was holding out for a panini maker, which my brother Mike gave me. He even wrapped it himself. It took him half an hour to do it, but it got done. He even put the bow on then took it off and rearranged it. He's an engineer so you would think it would have been a simple task, but than again that may have been the problem, as he analyzed the best way to go about covering the box and placing the bow.

The rest of the weekend was just more great family time, lots of Wii playing and a slay ride in the mountains for some hot chocolate. Oh, last but not least. My parent's Schnauzer had two little puppies that we gave real names to. Welcome to the family Ernesto Pablo (Ernie) and Elenore Rose (Ellie). Thanks everyone for a wonderful weekend it was so much fun!









4 comments:

Juliette said...

WOW! Looks like you guys had tons of fun! But I bet it is always nice to come home.

Autumn said...

Happy New Year! Sounds like so much fun. I love the snow fort! You're never too old to play in the snow.

Erin said...

Happy New Year! Love that you got a panini maker (feeling a little jealous). Loved the pics.

Becky said...

We did have a lot of fun. It was so great to see everyone and laugh so much.