December 29, 2009

Grandpa Fred


My Grandpa Fred has passed away. I feel so incredibly blessed to have said my goodbyes in October. We were all expecting it would be soon, but when my dad called this afternoon I knew in his voice my grandpa was gone and felt immediate sadness. Even when you know it's for the best and that it could come at any time it doesn't completely prepare you for that call.

My grandpa was a shy man, tall and firm when he needed to be. He grew up in the fields of Nebraska. He never graduated high school as he preferred the quite fields over the boarding school he would have had to attend since there wasn't one close enough to the farm. Maybe that's where I get my contentment just being by myself with out talking. When my dad was young grandpa sold the farm, packed up his family and moved to California so that his children could have more opportunities. Something I will always be grateful for, admire, and love about him.

He loved wood working and was amazing at it. The cradle he made me means even more now than ever, and I can't wait to one day use it and have my baby be surrounded by his/her great grandpa's love. Although he didn't always say much his smile and eyes said it all. Especially this last time seeing him. You could tell he knew he was saying good bye, which made it that much harder to leave him. I loved listening to his stories when he felt chatty, driving to the farm house he grew up in and getting a malt at the old malt shop. He was a hard worker long after his body had told him no, stubborn, hopefully another trait that rubbed off on me. I could go on and on. But mostly he was a good man and treated everyone with decency and loved my grandma more than words can express. Even after all the decades of time they spent together they were so cute together.

I am so thankful that I know that I will see him again, and not just me, he will one day be reunited with his Jessie.

Bye Grandpa, Love you and can't wait to see you again.


My grandparents with their grandchildren and a few great grandchildren in 2001


My grandparents when I came home from the hospital. Wish I had more pictures, but they are either with my parents or in storage.

4 comments:

Autumn said...

Sounds like your grandpa was a great guy. Isn't it nice to know you'll be with him again someday.
Glad you were able to say goodbye to him.
Love you.

Ashley said...

Sorry to hear about your grandpa. It sounds like he was a really wonderful man. Im sure your whole family will miss him.
love you

Erin said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. He left quite the legacy. Hope you are doing well. We love you.

brit said...

What a nice memorial to your grandpa.