October 26, 2009

Nebraska

At the beginning of the month my younger brother, sister and I went to Nebraska for a quick trip. My grandpa Fred broke his pelvis last month and he and my grandma celebrated their 73rd anniversary on the 6th so we decided we should probably go down and say hello. Can you imagine spending 73 years together with the one you love, and they are still very much in love. Grandma stays every night in the hospital so that my grandpa is not alone. He's kind of a shy guy and oh so cute. The last few years he's had a few health issues, but it never stops him. A pelvic break can be a life altering issue for people his age, but he was already walking around when we went to visit. He needs help but the fact that we can do it is amazing. Their love is very inspiring and I love listening to them tell stories of when they were younger.

Before they got married they had moved to Colorado to try and make money to save to actually get married. My grandpa made $25 a month working on a farm and my grandma made $3 per week tending kids. They decided they would never really be able to save a lot and just wanted to get married so they headed back to Nebraska to take out a loan and start farming. They have both been such hard workers all their lives and I love them both so much.

It was also fun just spending time with Dee and Mikie, we don't do stuff like this near enough. I got to see my sister's new house in Fort Collins and Mikie and I had 4 hours of quality time in the airport while Denise enjoyed the Denver Broncos game. There is nothing better than wonderful siblings and I've got three of the best.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm glad you guys were able to go--it would have been so nice to have been able to join you. Seeing this post makes me anxious to see Dee and Mikey at Christmas.